Repair and protection for air cooler water boxes
Power generation industry, UK.
Scope of work
Due to severe sea-water corrosion leading to leakage, repair and future corrosion protection was essential. Also some mechanical modifications were carried out as specified by client.
Internally: Corroglass 600 series & Vinyl ester glass fabric.
External: Plasmet ZF & cosmetic enamel topcoat.
Motor oil cooling waterbox.
- Internal grit blast to ISO 8501-1 SA 21/2.
- External grit blast to ISO 8501-1 SA 2.
- Hand application using specialised techniques to rebuild seven damaged water boxes to provide effective, anti-corrosion protection.
- Application internally of Corroglass 600 series to achieve a minimum dft of 1.5 mm. Coated across the flange faces and fully spark tested at 19kv and thickness checked.
- Hand application of Plasmet ZF 150μm, followed by a top coat of enamel cosmetic top coat in customer’s house colours.
This customer were able to save thousands of pounds, by recycling their old components – which some would have deemed as ‘scrap’.
When the water boxes were re-installed, the customer benefited from the same efficiency that you would get with a new system with the added benefit of excellent corrosion protection – extending the life of the refurbished component.
Corrocoat’s coating and engineering expertise combined.