Power utility specialising in importation, generation, transmission and distribution of electricity.
Scope of work
Refurbishment of rotary strainer wheel, experiencing corrosion as a result of service in an environment with high salt water.
Primer: Polyglass PPA. A peroxide catalysed glass flake polyester primer.
Coating: Corroglass 600 series. A high build glass flake vinyl ester lining and repair material.
- Removed existing drive pins (96 off) and manufactured replacements using BS70-431-S29 high strength St. Steel.
- Cleaned filter elements with UHP water jetting. Lightly blasted with a fine glass abrasive. Fitted 20mm thick plywood boards to both sides of the filter elements to prevent any damage.
- Removed existing mechanical seal sleeve (2 off).
- Machined both sealing faces removing as little material as possible.
- Machined mechanical seal sleeves outside diameter ensuring concentricity (TIR 0.05mm) to bearing diameters.
- Manufactured and fitted replacement mechanical seal sleeves using BS9070-316-S11 St. Steel.
- Masked areas not requiring treatment, removed filter element clamps.
- Grot blasted to ISO5201-1: internals and wetted areas to Sa2 1/2. Jet washed with Chlor*rid to bring salt content to the surface. Repeated process until salt level reading was under 2.5mg mms cm2.
- Primed using Polyglass PPA.
- Cleaned and replaced filter element clamps.
- Applied multiple coats of Corroglass 600 series to achieve a minimum of 1.5mm dry film thickness.
- Built up sealing faces to a minimum of 2.5mm dry film thickness. Following coating, post machined both sealing faces.
- Machined mechanical seal sleeve seats ensuring concentricity (TIR 0.05mm) to bearing diameters.
Corroglass 600: a two pack cold cured vinyl ester glass flake. Excellent in immersed environments. Excellent resistance to solvents, acids and de-mineralised water. Excellent flexibility, undercutting resistance and sliding abrasion resistance.